Updates to teachassist
The YRDSB Assessment & Evaluation Committee and teachassist are proud to announce that updates have been made to bring our practice and use of teachassist in line with Growing Success. All the features you are accustomed to with remain the same while a few improvements will enhance your professional judgement. Here's what new:
- The log in procedure has changed. Please update your web browser bookmarks to our new home at http://ta.yrdsb.ca. You will soon be able to log in with your board assigned user name and password. During this transition, your teachassist assigned credentials are still usable, however this will be removed in the near future.
- The Student tab now includes gender, revised incomplete:assignment data, and the mode (by level) for the class being displayed.
- Clicking on the student's last name provides an expanded progress page. Learning Skills & Work Habits (LSWH) data distribution is provided at the top. Clicking the link Click here for graphs/analysis showcases the information in a graph form for quick trend analysis.
- At the bottom of the page Analysis and Graphs of student achievement by category can be found. Graphs will be displayed when a minimum of two pieces of information are added to a given category. Teachers who have already used teachassist can see this in action by visiting previous courses. For optimisation, assignments should be ordered chronologically. As before, assignment order can be altered in the Assessment tab by dragging and dropping assignments within the unit (or clicking on the blue reorder arrows in older web browsers). Suggestion: Please use descriptive titles (i.e. "Quiz 1 projective motion" instead of "Quiz 1") as this will allow for greater communication for students, parents, and fellow educators. The benefit of this will be apparent during mark reporting time, where top level assessments are displayed during the Phrase selection process.
- The Attendance tab includes school calendar information to keep you informed of current events that may impact your class attendance
- The Assessment tab replaces the Assess & Evaluate tab.
- Clicking on the Assess portion of the tab, takes you directly to the Learning Skills & Work Habits page, which has now been enhanced with class distribution and modal analysis.
- Clicking on ment portion of the tab, directs you to the Assessment for / as / of Learning page (formerly the Assignment page), where you can record assessment data. This page has been enhanced to show you the category weighted calculation, as well as the entire assessment value with respect to the final calculated mark.
- Recording by levels has been added as an option, instead of numerical values. Click on the add assessment button, and then choose Assessment FOR / AS and then Levels - give the assessment a title/name, then check off any of the categories that you'd like to assess.
- When entering assessment values teachers also have the option to add Descriptive Feedback, which will display on the student view of teachassist. Data stored in the Comments field are for your eyes only.
- We are also excited about the Email feature soon to be enabled under Reports. A PDF of the student's marks can be sent as well as a personal note to students and parents/guardians. For teachers keeping their attendance records on teachassist, this data can be sent to the parent/guardian email address on file with the school.
For those of you new to teachassist
You'll find your courses for this semester already assigned and populated for you in the left menu pane. Click on the course to see a list of the students in your course.
To assess and evaluate students, click on the Assessment tab for an individual course. Once there, start off by adding your units of study at the bottom of the page. Once a unit has been created, assessments for/as/of can be created and assigned to those units.
Please ensure that the category weightings are appropriate for your course. A pictorial representation will appear above the units and assignments.
Your students can view their progress in your course by going to the following website:
and use their student number and their last name initially as their credentials, or their board credentials. If you would like to restrict access to your course marks, you can click on the green circle next to the course code within the menu pane of teachassist and follow the instructions.
As always, if you have feedback or suggestions we would love to hear from you. Please feel free to contact us at email@example.com.
Have a great school year!
The teachassist team.